Cosmetology Class Start Dates
*March 12, 2019 *April 30, 2019 *June 18, 2019 *August 6, 2019 *September 24, 2019 *November 12, 2019
Independence College of Cosmetology is a Pivot Point member school.
Pivot Point hair design is a fine art and the student is the designer.
View a video regarding Pivot Point history at the following link: Pivot Point YouTube Video
This cosmetology course is 1,500 hours as required by Missouri law. Full time attendance is five days per week, seven hours per day, Tuesday through Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a one hour lunch break, equaling a 35-hour week. Part-time attendance is five days per week, four hours per day Tuesday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and seven hours on Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a one hour lunch break, for a 23-hour week. This course is taught in English.
During the freshman class, students learn the technical skills and theory of hairdressing, hair cutting, business, manicuring, product knowledge, Salon Success and Missouri State Law. We base the curriculum on the Pivot Point training system and our professional experience since opening the College in 1960.
Sophomore time splits between the student salon and the classroom. Students to utilize the basic skills learned in the freshman class, along with continued mannequin work, to prepare for the State Board Exam. Sophomores are eligible for clients in the student salon in the afternoons and on Saturdays. Students spend their time in class learning the technical skills and theory of hair coloring, permanent waving, hair cutting, iron curling, chemical relaxing, pedicuring, waxing and make-up. Emphasis is placed on the study of hair structure and hair chemistry to help students better understand what they are working on as well as the chemicals they are working with.
Junior and senior training takes place in the student salon, where students work on clients. They also continue mannequin work in preparation for the Missouri State Board Exam. Each weekday class consists of a designated theory time covering such chapters as professional relations, sanitation, skin disorders and diseases, trichology and chemical texturing. Tests are given over theory chapters as the subjects are covered. The Pivot Point coursebooks are available online and students are issued a personal log-in to access them.
A Designer’s Approach:
Education Delivered Through LAB
Cosmetology Education at its Finest
Cosmetology online learning just got better. You will be learning from A Designer’s Approach, an educational program designed to provide you with the skills you need to enter the beauty industry successfully. This comprehensive system will help you to see, think, create and adapt as a hair designer.
A Designer’s Approach consists of six core disciplines: Cosmetology Fundamentals, Sculpture, Hair Design, Color, Texture and Salon Success, all delivered in easily digestible units of information so you can build from basic to more intermediate knowledge and skill levels. The entire library is designed to deliver licensure-based education as well as salon-relevant training for your future success in the salon.
Education Built for You: The Connected Learner
You are part of a new generation not defined by age. You want your information fast, you want to co-create education, and you learn best through collaborative efforts within a community. The LAB allows you to take more control over your education.
Not All Online Learning Platforms are Created Equal!
You have never seen anything like LAB before. It’s easy to use and contains all the features necessary to capture your attention, inspire creativity and allow you to share your experiences with your peers.
Your education is delivered through an innovative online learning environment designed specifically for the beauty industry—the only one of its kind! This exciting industry is social and visual—and so are you—and we’ve designed it to reflect that, and be made yours. LAB is not just another cookie-cutter learning management system, like so many others. This robust, multi-faceted system approaches learning through four key dimensions—educational content, customization, communication and gamification—will help you get the best beauty education there is out there today.
- Show the World Who You Are—Personalize your profile to let others know who you are, what inspires you and show off all your work.
- Become Part of a Community—You’ll have access to your classmates, and so much more; you’ll be in touch with everyone who is connected to your organization. Network, share and inspire!
- Not Connected? No Problem.—Study anytime, anywhere, our downloadable ebooks and study guide don’t need an Internet connection for you to access (once downloaded), hey and they’re at no additional cost to you!
- Organized Learning, Bit by Bit—Lessons have been carefully segmented into smaller sections to provide you with the most pertinent information necessary, when you need it. Whether you’re in the classroom, or somewhere else brushing up on your skills, you can access videos, eBooks, study tools, interactive activities, collaborative peer-driven exercises and fun, engaging assignments.
- Compete—Like to show off? Well, you can in LAB! You will get points for almost every action you take. Login, get a point, finish a lesson, get lots of points; the top five in your community are showcased on the leaderboard on the home page for all to see.
- Ready, Set, Test—Okay, so now you’ve completed all your lessons, gained tons of practice on the clinic floor and are almost ready for that licensure test, we’ve got you covered with Exam Ace in LAB. Exam Ace provides you with lots of tests to get you ready to take your exam. Take ‘em as many times as you want, no need to download apps or go elsewhere!
Experience for yourself how fun and engaging learning can be.
Schedule your Admissions appointment today: 816-252-4247 x303
At the completion of this course the graduate will have been trained to pass the Missouri State Board Exam and receive a professional cosmetology license enabling them to perform a range of cosmetology services required in the beauty salon or spa. The knowledge and skills learned will prepare graduates for work as a hair stylist, salon manager, hair colorist, salon owner, product demonstrator, manicurist or pedicurist.
Total Fee – Cosmetology
Our Total fee includes, Tuition, Textbooks, Tools and Equipment!
The 1,500 hours of this course is comparable to hours required by some of the surrounding states.
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Campus Safety and Security: http://ope.ed.gov/security/
Curriculum – Cosmetology
Full time attendance is defined as five days per week, seven hours per day, Tuesday through Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a one-hour lunch break, equaling a 35 hour week.
Part time attendance is defined as five days per week, four hours per day Tuesday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 7 hours on Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a one-hour lunch on Saturday, equaling a 23 hour week.
Missouri law requires 1,500 hours.
This period of time is divided approximately as follows:
|Shampooing of all kinds||40|
|Hair coloring, bleaches, rinses||130|
|Hair cutting, shaping||130|
|Permanent waving, chemical relaxing||125|
|Hair setting, pin curls, fingerwaving, thermal curling||225|
|Comb-outs, hair styling techniques||105|
|Scalp treatments, scalp diseases||30|
|Facials, eyebrows, lash dyes, arches||40|
|Manicuring, hand and arm massage, pedicuring, foot and leg massage||110|
|Salesmanship, shop management||10|
|Miscellaneous lectures, test reviews, psychology, motivation, etc.
(to be defined by the College)
Enrollment & Entrance Requirements
Classes start on Tuesday of each seventh week and the entrance requirements are as follows:
- Must have a high school diploma, GED certificate or transcript or 12th grade high school transcript.
- Have attained the age of 17 before applying to take the Missouri State Board Exam
- Provide proof of age – Birth Certificate, Driver’s License or US Passport
- Provide two character references
- Have a personal interview with a school official and pass an entrance exam
- Provide four 2×2 pictures, taken within the last two years.
- $5.00 money order payable to Missouri State Board of Cosmetology & Barber Examiners.
- Complete an enrollment form (supplied through the State Board of Cosmetology)