The Instructor Training course is 600 hours as required by Missouri law. Full time attendance is 35 hours per week, five days per week; seven hours per day, Tuesday through Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with a one-hour lunch. Part time attendance is 23 hours per week, five days per week, four hours per day Tuesday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and seven hours on Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a one-hour lunch. This course is taught in English.
Students spend their time in this course learning the technical skills of teaching the course for which the student holds a professional license. This includes lesson planning, teaching principals, psychology, motivation, classroom training and practice teaching.
At the completion of this course the graduate will be qualified to pass the Missouri State Board Instructor Exam that pertains to the basic license the graduate already holds and receive an Instructor’s License in that specialty. Graduates will have the option of instructing (for the license they hold) in a cosmetology school, working in a salon or spa, being a product representative, a school owner or manager. Graduates will be familiar with procedures for creating lesson plans and curriculums.
Tuition – Instructor Training
State Board license fee $25.00
Gainful Employment Disclosures
Campus Safety and Security: http://ope.ed.gov/security/
Curriculum – Instructor Training
The hours for this course are divided approximately as follows:
|Teaching principles, lesson planning, curriculum planning, class outlines, teaching methods, teaching aids, testing, and evaluation||200|
|Psychology, personality in teaching, teacher evaluation, counseling, laws of learning, and speech||50|
|Business experience or management, classroom management, record keeping, buying, inventory supplies, and State Law||50|
|Practice teaching in both theory and practical||300|
Enrollment & Entrance Requirements
Classes start on Tuesday of each seventh week. Please call the Admissions Office for exact dates. The entrance requirements are as follows:
- Must have a high school diploma, GED certificate or transcript or 12th grade high school transcript
- Have attained the age of 17 before applying to take the Missouri State Board Exam
- Proof of age – Birth Certificate, Driver’s License or US Passport
- Have a personal interview with a school official and pass an entrance exam
- Provide four 2×2 pictures, taken within the last 2 years.
- Provide 2 or more character references.
- Provide a $25.00 money order for student license.
- Provide a transcript addressing basic training from the school where training took place.
- Provide industry related work history and continuing education history.
- Complete an enrollment form (supplied through the Missouri State Board of Cosmetology).
- Provide proof of a current Missouri Cosmetology or Esthetics license.
The Missouri State Board requires two years of high school prior to the Instructors Course. Independence College of Cosmetology requires a Diploma, GED certificate or 12th grade high school transcript.